top of page

April 14, 2018

White Plains Baptist Circa 1806

White Plains Baptist Church was organized in 1806, and pre-dates the town of White Plains, which was incorporated in 1834.  According to church records there have been four buildings on this same site, with the current sanctuary being completed in 1887

Prospect Methodist Circa 1846

The first service in the existing building was in January, 1880. This beautiful building is still in use today. Due to the diligence of the congregation, it is remarkably well preserved. The siding is still painted wood and the bathrooms are in an adjacent building. The architecture still retains and reflects the setting of an 1880 church.

Wrightsboro Methodist Circa 1773

The Wrightsboro Methodist Church is located on a small hill in a fascinating historic setting.  On this site in 1754, Edmund Grey, founded the Quaker town of Brandon.  At this time, the area would have been inhabited by Native Americans and not open to legal settlement.  In 1768, following the Treaty of Augusta which ceded this land to the swelling tide of European settlers, forty thousand acres of land was granted to Joseph Mattock and Jonathan Sell, who were also Quakers.  A thousand acres of this land was set aside for the Town Proper, which was later incorporated as the city of Wrightsboro in 1799.

Antioch Baptist Circa 1886

The church is both beautiful and somewhat intimidating; it doesn’t seem to fit in it's rural area, and is significantly different from other local Baptist churches from similar time periods. Two large towers flank the main gabled structure, which gives it an almost intimidating presence. This style of architecture was based on the colossal structures built mostly in France during the middle ages.

New Smyrna Methodist Circa 1790

The Smyrna Methodist Church was first known as the Piney Woods Meeting House. It has the distinction of being the second Methodist Church to be organized in Georgia. Services were held in a brush arbor prior to the construction of a building in 1790. The church was rebuilt in 1800 and 1878. The original foundation of hand hewn logs joined with wooden pegs is the foundation of the present building.

Please reload

bottom of page